Chapter Eighty-One: Becoming Humble

Hopefully we can all say we have been put in a situation that has truly humbled us. Humility can be felt through something as simple and beautiful as volunteering with the children at your church and seeing a child light up with pure joy; or it can be felt through the sweat and tears of helping a community rebuild after a devastating natural disaster.
Humility is not always a nice feeling. It typically doesn't make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. In fact, being humbled sometimes makes us feel the complete opposite: uncomfortable, embarrassed, or maybe even ashamed.
Despite these feelings, I really do believe that being humbled is a necessary part of being human. It forces us to recognize our humanity, our mortality. It gives us the opportunity to see everything around us in a different perspective.
As you know, I have been a waitress for the majority of the summer. Coincidentally, I've also been humbled for the majority of the summer.
I haven't done anything absolutely extraordinary. I wish I could say that I've earned all the top awards in waitressing...but the fact is, I haven't. I'm not the worst waitress, but I'm definitely not the best. I am a waitress, but this job has given me so much more than tips.
It's a given that with being a waitress comes dealing with people. Often times, it's a pleasurable experience. Offering suggestions works out ("Would you like to start today off with a Boston-Flavored Ice Tea?"), people are understanding with wait times ("The kitchen is a little backed up right now, but we will get your order out as soon as possible. Would you like more bread?"), and sometimes the tips are really, really nice.
But. 
Anyone who has interacted with people knows that everyone doesn't necessarily have the exact same expectations and standards.
On one hand, I'm just seen a vessel for drinks, food, and the check. On the other side of the same coin, I'm an open book and entertainer. To some, it's expected of me to have fresh bread flow from my bottomless pockets, whereas others only want to see me three times during their visit. Some expect me to know everything about their favorite alcoholic beverage ("My name is Sarah, not Johnny Walker"), or food allergy ("If I'm allergic to shrimp, would I be allergic to lobster?"), while others know exactly what they want, no ifs, ands, or buts.
If you haven't guessed it yet, I am neither a bartender, personal physician, or magician. Unfortunately, it doesn't take me 2.5 seconds to run to the kitchen, grab a basket, get some bread, roll it up, and place it on a table (It's probably closer to 45-85 seconds, if I only have one table). I often have to ask questions to get the alcoholic order just right because, despite the typical stereotype of a college student, I really am not an expert on alcohol (Still under 21!).
I am just a waitress.
I am just a waitress that delivers the news that we are '86 Rainbow Trout. I'm a waitress that listens to your story while I know table 53 is about to chunk their check at me. I'm a waitress that comes home every day with sore muscles, a tender wrist, and a dry throat. I'm a waitress that sometimes leaves the restaurant with quite a few dollars to only a few dollars.
I am just a waitress.
And I love it.
I love it because everyday I meet someone that isn't like the person I met the day before. I love it because a genuine smile from a guest lights up my entire section. I love it because seeing others celebrate while I fill their cups with sweet tea fills my cup with joy. I love it because the people I work alongside with are all wonderful people who all have a story of their own. I love it because it humbles me.
It's not easy. I've struggled to go to work many times (trust me); however, anytime someone asks me, "Do you like working there?" My face will always light up. Because I know in my heart that all the times I've stayed late cleaning, gotten my hands dirty in dish pit, or woke up early for a double shift, are all blessings in disguise.
I know I've only been working in the food industry for a short while, but it truly has been a wonderful experience. It's made me see others differently...it's made me more human.
And being human is truly the greatest gift of all.

Link: Etymology of Human and Hum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Thirty-Four: What to Pack for College....Sarah Edition!

Chapter Three: Luke and the Half-Priced Frappe

Chapter One: When Will My Life Begin?